The 1st Assault Helicopter Battalion, 140th Aviation Regiment was officially adopted by the City of Laguna Niguel on April 17, 2018, as part of the America Supporting Americans (ASA) Adopt a Ship Program. The 1/140th is the City of Laguna Niguel’s third adopted military unit.
The America Supporting Americans program was created to provide a mechanism whereby all branches of the United States Armed Services would be “adopted” by an American City. The purpose of the program is to bond Americans with servicemen and women who so bravely serve our country.
The 1st Assault Helicopter Battalion, 140th Aviation Regiment in the 40th Infantry Division California National Guard is a Blackhawk Combat Helicopter Battalion consisting of 400 personnel that is stationed at the Joint Forces Training Base in Los Alamitos, California.
The 1/140th unit deployed for combat in 2011 and more recently in September 2015 for one year to Kuwait, Iraq, and Afghanistan. The unit is also the California Army National Guard Unit that provides helicopter firefighting support and Emergency Management to communities in South Orange County. Additionally, this unit marched in the 2016 and 2017 Laguna Niguel Holiday Parade with the 40th Infantry Division California Army National Guard Band.
- Stationed at Los Alamitos Army Airfield
- Deployed three times in support of the Global War on Terror
- 2004-2005 Operation Iraqi Freedom
- 2010-2011 Operation New Dawn
- 2015-2016 Operation Spartan Shield / Operation Inherent Resolve
- Roots in WWII – Southern Philippines, Luzon, Leyte Gulf and Bismarck Archipelago Campaign